Saturday, January 23, 2010

Hello Oregon.

( my new burlap recycling bag)
We've been in Ory-gun for two weeks and one day now. We really like it here but like all new places there are a few things we are getting used to.
1. Having my gas pumped for me. Feels strange, but very nice on rainy cold days...
2. Recycling. I would consider myself a serious recycler but here I feel like a slacker. We have had to figure out a new trash system in the house. Bottles and some plastics go with us to the grocery store to get our nickle deposits back, almost EVERYTHING else goes in the recycling bin. It is pretty amazing, especially for me. I used to argue with our neighborhood recycler over cereal boxes. Here they take almost everything...so cool.
3. Being around so many Duck and Beaver fans. I am used to crimson everywhere. I am not sure what is happening around our house, but Miss Greta has been asking to go to an OSU game, OSU clothes for her birthday and to meet Benny Beaver. I asked her if she would cheer for the cougs at a game or OSU. "OSU" she said... sorry I can't talk about this anymore, it's wrong I tell you.... wrong.
4. T-shirt weather in January.
5. Teaching the children ocean safety. No running into the ocean, no eating shells and rocks, sea lions are cute, like bear cute...you admire them from faaaaaar away.
All in all, we love it here so far.

1 comment:

Cherisa said...

Gotta love the t-shirt weather in January (feeling a little jealous again...)!

Don't you love recycling everything?! We have dual-stream recycling so plastic and metal go together and paper goes on its own. Cans and bottles all go back to the store for your 5 cents back! Aiden LOVES helping put all the cans in the machine and pushing the button for our return slip. Ahh... the small things in life!

I find it odd to visit Oregon and have my gas pumped for me, too. I feel like a complete loser driving away without tipping but since you don't get to choose this "convenience" it also seems out of place. I'm sure you'll get used to it all too soon. My sister still misses it and she hasn't lived in OR for almost 6 years now!