Tuesday, December 2, 2008

At The Tip Top Of The Food Pyramid


The resident bakers in my house made S'mookies last night. Two peanut butter cookies with marshmallow cream and melted chocolate in the middle. Are they good? yes. Will consuming a batch take a few years off my life? Time will tell. The folks that developed the classic Food Pyramid would, I am sure, place these at the very tip-top of the food pyramid. S'mookies would be standing on the shoulders of eggnog also competing for that coveted top spot. The recipe follows if you want to try them. The only way they could get any more unhealthy, would be to replace marshmallow cream with lard. I don't suggest doing so, please don't send me angry email.
Peanut Butter Cookies:
2/3 cup flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 stick unsalted butter, softened
1 cup creamy peanut butter
1 1/3 c packed light brown sugar
1 large egg, beaten
3/4 tsp vanilla
Filling: 1/2 cup chocolate chips ( they are already bad for you so might as well use more than this)
2 tbs unsalted butter
1/2 cup marshmallow cream
preheat oven to 375 degrees. Mix flour and baking soda in a small bowl set aside. With a spoon, mix butter, p-butter & brwn sugar in med bowl until smooth. Add egg, vanilla and then add flour mixture. Stir until combined well. Roll dough into 1 inch balls and flatten with a fork; bake 8-10 minutes. Let cool for 10 min and then refrigerate for 20 mins ( good time to do jumping jacks and burn some calories for what is to come)Place choco chips and butter in the microwave for 1 min then let stand 30 minutes until slightly stiff. Heat marshmallow cream for 10 seconds then spread on cookies. Store cookies in fridge.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my those sound goooood. When I was little my aunt would make us peanut butter, marshmallow cream and banana sandwiches. And then send us home all hyper. Please bring me one tomorrow so I won't have to make them!

Raylene said...

We can have the sugar shakes together. It should get us through knitting group.

Anonymous said...

I can just feel my blood sugar rising as we speak :)