Thursday, February 24, 2011

What Color Is My Parachute?

First off, we got about 2 1/2 inches of snow here in the banana belt.
Pure craziness, I tell ya! The kids love it.
Fieldin saw it first thing this morning and said" Merry Missmas Everyone" "where my boots? where my shovel?" Much excitement around here today.
In another thought, my mom has been gone now a little over 6 months. I think of her everyday and the kids and I keep her memory alive. Fieldin often asks when we will see her. Greta takes him to the sofa and talks to him about it. She amazes me.
We all miss you mom and the kids still look for your star nightly.
Now about my parachute or lack there of.
I once left a job that was stressful and draining. I felt dead inside. As I left with my box o' belongings from my office( a half dead cactus, a wedding pic and some gum) I met a coworker on my way out. She didn't really understand why I would leave a job and suggested I figure out my parachute. I just assumed the job was making her a little whacky and said my goodbyes. A quick internet search led me to the book" what color is your parachute?" it would give me insight into what I should do in my future career paths.. what would make me happy. I flipped through the book and never read it. I had taken " career" type tests before and they were always a flop. Once in my senior year, I took one of these tests and it came back with model( ahem, what the??? lucky genetics isn't really a skill, or atleast a skill I have), art gallery owner ( I love art but am a horrible salesperson), art instructer ( I remember whining on in my teen years about art being an individual creation, how dare a teacher judge it, needless to say I never did well...Say no to conformity! yadda yadda) and I think those were my options... Great.
Now I am a lucky mom but I don't know if that title constitutes as a real " career parachute" just like being a mom doesn't give me a 401K or free pizza Friday in the break room...ahh I want a breakroom. So far I am happy not knowing my parachute. I am starting to think I may be one of those people that just enjoys hanging out in the plane waiting for my complimentary peanuts. I never really liked heights anyway.
While I was laying in the hallway yesterday being covered by viewmaster reels by the little man..doing my job as resident shelf, pack mule and jungle gym.. I looked up at the ceiling and wondered how we get to where we are..it all happens so fast.
a slight blow to the head with a play grocery cart knocked me back to reality.
I may find my right colored parachute someday but I am very happy right now without it.
I guess time will tell if I find my "parachute" and I guess when it does I will have to embrace it and jump...screaming all the way.

1 comment:

Sara said...

Beautiful writing! I always hated those tests too. The personality ones, however, were always spot on.