Saturday, May 24, 2014

PIE

Greta's favorite book is about pie and it is appropriately named Pie..
She's been wanting me to read it for a while and I finally did and fell in love with it. 
In honor of this book we are going to recreate the pies the main character made. We are going to work on them during the summer using fresh ingredients as they are in season. I will try to add pictures of her pies and link them here as she goes. We were finally able to make a very good homemade gluten free pie dough.(excited about this). 
 Her first pie is rhubarb(we added in strawberries because it is u-pick strawberry time here and had alot of them) She learned how to string rhubarb and then she cut it into 3/4" pieces. She is pretty good with a knife these days. 
 she made her sugar flour mixture and rolled out the dough. 
 She had major attention to detail with this pie and the butter had to be placed perfectly. She cut it into small cubes so every part was covered. 
 making her vents after pinching the edges. 
 a little cream on top with a dusting of cinnamon and sugar and she was done. 
 here is what it looked like before the oven. It was then bedtime half way through baking so Jeff and I are monitoring the pie while it finishes. I just peaked and it is golden and pretty. Fieldin is quite excited about this whole pie making idea. 
I am very impressed. I've never been good at making pies. After watching Greta I am starting to believe it is a talent you must be given because it seems pretty easy to her. She put alot of time and love into the pie so maybe the secret is patience. I'm really looking forward to a summer full of pies.

No comments: