Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Drive Less For The Ocean

So I am going to go off on one of my tangents today.
I don't surf or swim, I don't own a beach shack and I am not a fisherwoman..but, anyone that knows me, knows I love our oceans and beaches. In the whole grand scheme of things, without our oceans we cannot survive. Luckily for me, the Pacific ocean is my favorite and it is close enough that I can enjoy it frequently.. sadly my frequent trips are contributing to our polluted oceans.
I just read a quick article in sunset mag. interviewing Amber Mace who is the director of California's ocean Protection council. And here is a blip from the article:
"Drive less. A lot of pollution gets into the sea from cars, and it's not just CO2 emmisions. Copper from brake pads is toxic. Oil collects on the streets, then washes into the ocean. Every eight months in the U.S., an amount equal to the Exxon Valdez spill washes in..."
of course I knew cars pollute but it was a little hard to read how much. The problem with Oregon beaches is it is very hard not to drive. The roads aren't made for bikers and safety is a factor. I would not bike those rodes, let alone allow my children. After thinking about it though I think my family can cut down on driving the coastline quite a bit. We are guilty of moving beaches..alot instead of staying put. Or heading across Newport back and forth to either hit the aquarium, lunch or coffee... Our last trip we stayed in one place, ate our meals there, and spent the day and truly enjoyed it. I guess it's not much but driving less can maybe help a little.

No comments: